Today Valve releases another big Dota 2 patch to the live client. The update includes a small amount of balance changes, some new bot updates, the ability to share control of your units with allies, and Shadow Demon.
You can check out the full patch notes here.
Most notably the bot changes are pretty slick. Valve has done a great job with the bots. They follows simple ping commands and try to work together. Playing bot games is a great way for new players to become accustomed to the game. It’s a smart move for Valve to invest time in ways to help new players. Dota 2 is a very hard game to pick up, and unless inexperienced gamers get help, they are bound to leave. Check out the bot updates below.
- Added a difficulty level setting for coop bot matchmaking
- Made bots increasingly bad at last-hitting as you lower difficulty level.
- Fixed bug where bots wouldn’t command non-illusion minions (ie. Necro guys).
- Bots that take damage from a nearby invisible hero (Radiance, Ion Shell) will now detect the hero as being nearby.
- Bots now have a moderate aversion to Radiance damage.
- Bots will now pick up Aegis/Cheese/Rapier even if human allies are nearby, after 3 seconds of the human not picking it up.
- Significantly increased the avoidance of the enemy fountain, should help to prevent fountain-diving.
- On Easy, bots won’t focus on breaking channels with stuns.
- On Easy, bots won’t try to dodge projectiles.
- On Easy, the bots will never push with more than 3 heroes.
- On Medium, the bots will never push with more than 4 heroes.
- Bots will no longer try to stun to break Windrunner chanelling Power Shot.
- Bots now know to try to avoid EMP, Dark Seer’s wall, and Chronosphere.
- Added a bit of randomness to the Team Roam group-up location so they don’t bunch up as much.
- Fixed bug that was causing bots to not consider invulnerable towers as potential TP targets.
- Adjusted how we calculate “too dangerous to TP into”, so bots should be less suicidal when TPing in to defend.
- When bots really would like to defend a tower but are lacking the ability to TP there, we greatly increase the “consider going to the side shop to buy a TP” distance.
- Fixed bug where bots would path to the wrong location when farming a neutral camp.
The game is becoming extremely polished and only a few major changes options need to be ported over from the original DotA. I think an open beta or full release seems possible very soon. Just don’t expect the full hero pool.
Image thanks to dota2.com